Saturday, August 15, 2015

The Results are In....



This year, I stepped a little out of my comfort zone and entered two cards and a scrapbook layout into the Nevada County Fair. I have never entered any of my work into any contest. Two reasons - I'm usually scared to get my work judged and I'm also too lazy to put the effort into preparing the entry forms, sending off or delivering the entries, or posting the right blog posts to my blog to be judged.

However, this year, since it's such a year of new things and change for our family, I figured I'd give it a shot. Plus, preparing my entries gave my daughter and me something to focus on during our last weeks before school and during the time my husband had to work crazy ridiculous hours. The child entered three items into the fair and I entered three items.

I didn't think I'd be so excited and anxious to see the results, and this past Wednesday, as we attended the fair for the first time, we got to see how our work did.

The Booger had to enter in the Mommy and Me category because she didn't meet the cut-off date to participate in the Youth categories. She received blue ribbons on all her items.

The castle card and the butterfly painting above her are two of three of her entries.

I placed on all three of my items, which I was pretty happy about. I received first place in my class for the scrapbook layout, first place for my Christmas card, and second place for birthday card.
I was quite pleased with the results and was excited that I had placed at all.

First place for Holiday Themed scrapbook layout. Yes, that's my now five-year-old child gracing the spread.


The Snow Flurries stamp set is still one of my favorite sets that I still use a lot even though it is retired. I also love the triple-stamping technique. 


This Coastal Cabana card uses a retired color with current stamp sets. I love the bold bloom flower.


As you can see, I used several retired stamps sets and paper. I have so much retired product laying around that I decided to play with my favorites while preparing for the fair.  In the upcoming weeks, I hope to share with you the different cards I prepared for the fair that didn't get entered.

On another note, the Nevada County Fair is by far the best fair I have ever attended. We had such a great time attending as a family, and there as such a joy that I felt as I watched the booger squeal with delight as she rode ride after ride. The fair also provided an opportunity to learn more about our new community as we strolled through booths that ranged from political affiliations to reading programs to solar companies. And of course, you can't go to the fair without looking at the cute animals. We were quite fond of the pygmy goats.

Is it bad that I'm already starting to think about scrapbook layouts to create for next year's fair? And I can't wait to see the cards I create this upcoming year that may be fair-worthy. Here's to a year of creativity!

Happy Stampin'
~Carmelita

No comments:

Snowed In

It's like we were destined to not go to school today. I woke up to a beautiful 6 inches of snow in my yard. We are in the lower elevatio...