Thursday, September 26, 2013

A New Chapter


Today was my last day at my day job. I have worked for a science and technology company for almost 7 years as a technical communicator. Today I said goodbye to the workforce and changed my title from "working mom" to "stay-at-home mom".

This was a hard decision to make, but I'm confident with my decision and do not have any regrets. 

Three and half years ago, after having the Booger, I decided to go back to work. It was necessary for me to go back to work at that time. I was going crazy at home. I felt like I had lost my identity after having the Booger. Going back to work helped me to feel like I restored my identity and sanity. But what was necessary three years ago is no longer valid now. I don't find my identity in work as much as I used to. My job doesn't fulfill me as much as it used to.

Please don't get me wrong. I had an amazing job. The people I worked with were great. I got to work on some fun projects. I learned new programs and improved my HTML and website skills. My managers were caring and flexible. These were some of the many aspects that made it so hard to make this decision.  

So after months and months of thinking and praying about quitting my job, my husband and I made the decision that it would be in our family's best interest if I quit my job. And that brings us to today. I gave my notice to my manager weeks ago, but today solidifies the decision.

This afternoon, I finished clearing off my desk and headed out to turn in all my separation paperwork. As I closed the door to my office, I thought, "Wow, I'm literally closing the door on a chapter to my life."

And then I pretty much cried all afternoon. Even though I'm excited and confident with my change, I am mourning the end of this chapter. 

So what's next? I don't really know. 

What I do know is that I do want to spend more time with the Booger. I do know that I want to eliminate the craziness that came with both my husband and me working. I do know that I want to spend more time teaching stamping and paper crafting. 

Other than that, it's going to be all trial and error. Maybe I'll love being a stay-at-home mom and never look back. Maybe I'll go crazy in a few months and demand to find another job. Maybe I'll go back to school  - photography always has interested me. I could go back and get my Masters in Technical Communication. I do love the TC field. Maybe I'll become an awesome Stampin' Up! demonstrator and never look back to going back to a 9 to 5 job, but just do what I love: papercrafting. Maybe I will decide to homeschool Sybella ( I doubt it, but who knows).  I feel like the sky is the limit right now. I'm so fortunate to be in this position. I am so fortunate to have a husband that recognized my discontentment with my job and supports me chasing an undefined dream and "trying" to be a stay-at-home mom, even after my first attempt was a complete disaster.

So stay tuned! Hopefully, I'll be able to increase my blog posts. Oh, and if you have any advice for this newbie SAHM, I'm all ears.

Happy Stampin',
~Cita 

No comments:

Snowed In

It's like we were destined to not go to school today. I woke up to a beautiful 6 inches of snow in my yard. We are in the lower elevatio...