Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas for Two

Last night was the Ladybug Ink Christmas party. We munched on some food and had a gift exchange of handmade gifts. There was certain criteria that was set for us about our handmade gift, and these criteria actually challenged me a little bit to get out of my stamping box and think differently.

Well, I decided to jump into a box in order to get out of my box. After prowling around on the web and walking through craft stores, I decided that it would be fun to make a decorated box with hot cocoa paraphernalia. My husband and I have been drinking a lot of hot cocoa these past few weeks, so my mind has been a little stuck on cocoa. Here's what I came up with.

I started with a tin and decorated it using the Holiday Lounge DSP. Dasher is embossed in white on Brushed Silver, and "Merry Christmas" is embossed with iridescent ice, which makes it all sparkly! The snowflakes are actually rub-ons from the Icicle Rub-Ons set. They look awesome against the Taken with Teal background.

I included two mugs so you can drink the hot cocoa and continued with the Dasher theme. Experimenting with a "make-your-own-rub-ons" kit (not from SU!), I was able to use Real Red and Taken with Teal Classic Ink and the Dasher stamp to make a rub-on, which I used to decorate the mugs.
I also made a little book that can be used to write your sweetie Christmas sentiments or can be used as a little scrapbook. I cut the covers with the Top Note Die using chipboard. I also cut the pages with the Top Note Die, but used Taken with Teal, Very Vanilla, and Real Red cardstock. The whole book is bound with Real Red Grosgrain ribbon. And of course I had to find some place in my project to use my current favorite set, Patterned Pines.

Finally, I added some packets of hot cocoa and spiced apple cider and placed it in the tin. The picture above shows the whole Christmas for Two ensemble. I was very proud of my creation. It was a lot of fun putting together.
Karen was the recipient of my Christmas for Two gift, and I was excited about the enthusiasm she showed toward it. This was my first big stamping project, and I'm glad Karen and her hubby can enjoy it.

~Cita

1 comment:

Angela said...

That's so awesome! I want to know more about the 'make our own rub ons kit"1

Snowed In

It's like we were destined to not go to school today. I woke up to a beautiful 6 inches of snow in my yard. We are in the lower elevatio...