Friday, September 06, 2013

The Joys of Washi Tape


I. Love. Washi Tape. When it started to become trendy in the crafting world I did a hidden eye roll as I thought the idea of decorative tape was silly. Just take some DSP and apply with scotch tape, wa-la makeshift washi tape.  I shall confess that I mocked washi tape at first. No more. I apologize washi tape. Please forgive me. Let me use your awesome-ness to grace my cards and make creating easier.

At convention, Stampin' Up! so graciously gave us six rolls of washi tape from the Holiday Mini catalog. I took my cute little rolls of washi tape home and decided to give it a try on a card. I had already started to use it in my This N That books, but not on cards. The above card was the outcome. I loved how easy it was to string the strips of washi tape across the card to create a layered DSP look. Had I used actual DSP, this card would have been a little more time consuming. Think about trying to cut all those little pieces of DSP, laying them out, adhering them one by one, and then trimming the sides. Use washi tape, it's much easier.


Stampin' Tips:

  • Colors scheme: Cherry Cobbler, Old Olive, Whisper White (The best Christmas Card color combo ever)
  • Stamp Sets: Gorgeous Grunge, Christmas Messages
  • Accessories: Season of Style Designer Washi Tape, Cherry Cobbler Twine, Apothecary Accents Framelits
  • When placing the washi tape, don't worry about cutting the strip of tape to be exact. Wrap the excess tape around the back of the card. 
  • Use the Gorgeous Grunge stamp set to provide a background in the bottom right-hand corner. I used Old Olive and Cherry Cobbler ink. 
  • Cut a Cherry Cobbler piece from the Apothecary Accent framelits. Then cut a 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" piece of Whisper White cardstock to line the accent and stamp the Christmas greeting on. Tie a piece of Cherry Cobbler twine around and seal with a bow. 
Have you tried using washi tape? What projects have you used them on? If you haven't given washi tape a chance, I highly recommend giving it some time. I do believe you will like washi tape. 

Happy Stampin' 
~Cita 

No comments:

Snowed In

It's like we were destined to not go to school today. I woke up to a beautiful 6 inches of snow in my yard. We are in the lower elevatio...